Mothers’ Rights in Chicago, Illinois
When considering the outcome of a child custody/allocation of parental responsibility determination or visitation/parenting time arrangement, you need to understand that a mother has certain rights to see her children with few exceptions. However, a mother does not inherently have the right to sole custody or sole allocation of parental responsibility of her children. There are many factors that the courts will need to consider.
Illinois Mothers’ Rights Determination
The determination of child custody in Illinois is based on the best interest of the child standard. The court considers relevant factors including, but not limited to:
- The wishes of the child’s parent or parents as to his custody;
- The wishes of the child as to his custodian;
- The interaction and interrelationship of the child with his parent or parents, his siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child’s best interest;
- The child’s adjustment to his home, school and community;
- The mental and physical health of all individuals involved;
- The physical violence or threat of physical violence by the child’s potential custodian;
- The occurrence of ongoing or repeated abuse;
- The willingness and ability of each parent to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing relationship between the other parent and the child.
After January 1, 2016, the factors that a court will consider to determine the allocation of parental responsibilities will change. The labels of “joint custody”, “sole custody” and “residential parent” will no longer be used. Please contact us today to find out how this might impact parenting time for your family.
Contact Us Today to Schedule a Consultation
The trusted and reputable family law attorneys of Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. have vast amounts of experience protecting children in child custody decisions. If you live in Chicago, Illinois and need the help defending your rights as a mother, contact Fay, Farrow & Associates, P.C. immediately. We have been serving clients in the Chicago area since 1979. You can rest assured your family is in good hands because we have over 95 years of combined experience protecting families. Call us today at 630.961.0060 to schedule a free consultation.